Descensus Averno Facilis Est

A woman made her way through the forest, unable to appreciate the beauty of the world around her. Trees rustled from the faint wind. The moon was a streak in the sky, seeming to barely hang on to its own existence. It made the sky feel hollow and empty due to the lack of light. There was a slight fog that took hold of the air, distorting the surroundings. It gave the forest a mystical property; some power that called to people and made them stop to listen. But the woman was tired and thus seemed to prioritize leaving the forest behind over admiring its enchantment.

The woman’s right arm was heavy and her knees were caked with dirt. That, at least, she understood. What she was not expecting was the emotional fatigue. The task had been much more difficult than expected, and she wanted nothing more than to forget.

It was not long after, when the realization that she was no longer on the path with which she had entered the grounds on made itself apparent. A clearing ahead made itself visible, and since it seemed to be the only option she started towards it. The trees thinned and the woman walked to the edge of the clearing. It was at that time she began to see the ruins. She closed her eyes with such force, as if to erase the scene in front of her. As if to erase the feeling seeping deep into her bones. As if to erase the whole day and start afresh. A moment passed and an eye peeked open. Determination took hold of the woman as she realized that she was the only savior present. She began her descent into the depths. At first, she looked only straight ahead, however, the ruins seemed to have other plans for her. The ground was uneven, and after a couple of steps the woman tripped over a clump of dirt and crashed into a large rock. She tried to push herself up, but felt strange grooves give way underneath her palms. The wind whipped around her, brushing off some dirt atop the rock. Something in the woman’s head told her to stop, to run even, but she was lost in the moment; clearing the rock with a frenzy seemed to be her sole purpose. When the stone finally made itself visible, the woman was face-to-face with its meaning.

A name.

A span of time.

Leaping back and turning away. Escape. Escape was the word in the woman’s mind. She stumbled through the ruins, through the forgotten graveyard, and it was then that a memory from earlier that night began to surface. The weight. The cold dirt. The lifeless eyes. But the woman dismissed the thought. She remembered her goal: continuing to sprint up hills and through gaps in the trees. The woman seemed to have dominated her mind, shutting it down so that she could focus. She did not want to remember, she wanted to escape. So the woman did not seem to notice when the branches got too close, scraping along her bare arms. Blood was freed from the confines of her body.

Finally, the woman saw the forest give way. She sighed with relief and began to sprint to the open space. But the woman’s mind was trying again to voice an opinion. It wanted to tell her that something was horribly wrong. That the whole night was a twisted tale of events. It begged her to think. To think about the night. About the lifeless body and cold dirt. About how she buried the former in the latter. If only the woman had taken a moment to think, she might have been able to be the savior she needed. But the mind was shut down, its power drained so that she could escape everything she was running from. And so she ran until, at last, the forest opened up.

The woman stepped into freedom only to realize that she was right back to where she had started.

Dazed. Walking. Blood trailing behind her; the path of life a stark contrast to the deathly setting. The woman’s eyes glazed over. She looked up to the sky, but found no answer there, so she turned to the ground. At once, she saw her arms. She thought that they looked so out of place. And since she was not feeling any pain, she was not really feeling anything at the moment, she began to swing her arms over the land. The blood was systematically splattered over gravestones: a fresh sacrifice to an ancient world.

And as the warmth dripped out of the woman, her fighting mind realized that it was losing its battle. It let go, stopped fighting, moved on.

A hollow body was roaming late at night in an abandoned graveyard. It stumbled, collapsing into the same cold dirt that had seemed to haunt it so much before. Now it didn’t seem to mind. The body lay in its own blood, a hollow heart still beating. Unable to fully accept or fully escape the world it has come to know…

Pin by Diane Marie on Blue | Blue roses wallpaper, Blue roses, Blue rose

“Ruins peopled by ghosts who dwell there to taunt us.”

-The Poison of the Blue Rose, Yasmin Maari

It was this quote that held my attention with its dark beauty and inspired my piece above. I was captivated by the idea of being surrounded in such a haunting setting, and began to think of stories where setting- especially a setting that held a feeling of ghosts- was a key aspect. It was not long after that the idea of an abandoned graveyard was begging me to be implemented.

At first, I thought that a dark setting alone would connect my story with Yasmin Maari’s. However, as I began to edit my first, rough, draft I began to realize that they could also be connected by themes, the use of symbolism, and even inspire the same feelings felt by the reader after the last line was read.

I also used little “bread crumbs” dropped by Yasmin Maari in my piece. I used fragmented sentences to reflect the mind of my main character. I tried my best to add her style to mine in this piece by adding more motifs, like the cold dirt and blood, to offer a similar level of symbolism. I made our main character as similar as possible. Both are unnamed, regret decisions they made in the past, have an overwhelming desire to escape, and are kept from that core yearning.

Free Spooky Stock Video Footage - (1,163 Free Downloads)

“There can be worse things than death.”

Anonymous

Death is such a negative concept, for the living. That is what gives this quote weight. It makes a person think. What life would be worse than death? How does one come to think that death is a reward?

At the end of “The Poison of the Blue Rose”, the narrator believes that her life has been reduced to torment. She is devoid of all hope and feels trapped.

At the end of “Descensus Averno Facilis Est,” which translates to “The Descent Into Hell Is Easy,” we see the main character give up. We see her mind shut down, but her body lives on.

Both these characters are living a life worse than death: Death would be a welcome escape. But these characters do not get death. They are forced to live on in their personal hell-on-Earth.

Citations

“The Poison of the Blue” Rose by Yasmin Maari

Feature Image

Blue Rose

Cage

6 thoughts on “Descensus Averno Facilis Est

1. Dear Aarti,

I just want to start off by saying this piece is truly captivating. I thoroughly enjoyed your use of imagery and descriptive language as it provides the audience with the ability to create a mental image and fully immerse themselves within the story, putting themselves in the woman’s shoes. I liked your use of repetition of words and phrases such as “woman” as it emphasizes her character and “escape.” I feel the repetition really encapsulates the meaning and tone of the piece.

Although I enjoyed your piece I feel your use of images could have been a bit better maybe adding a few more highlighting the symbolism within the story. I also felt that your explanation could have been a little more in-depth, adding personal aspects of how the quote related to you and why you had chosen it in that regard.

Overall, I cannot wait for more to come. Keep at it!

Sincerely, Khushman

• Thank you, Khushman, for your kind and helpful comment. I am glad you enjoyed the imagery and felt like you were in the woman’s shoes. In the future I will work more on developing more symbolic meanings attached to my works, and pay attention to adding personal connections in they are needed.

Thanks again for the great feedback,
      Aarti

2. Dear Aarti,

Your writing piece is absolutely amazing. I was entranced throughout every twist and turn of your story, and I found the ending to encapsulate the morality between your story and “Poison of the Blue Rose” perfectly: “Both these characters are living a life worse than death: Death would be a welcome escape. But these characters do not get death. They are forced to live on in their personal hell-on-Earth.” I could definitely see fragments of the prompt intertwined throughout. The imagery and visuals you have created are insightful and add onto the message of the story – despair and destruction. As well, the title of your blog lures people in (like me), and I commend you for the creative stance you took for the title. One sentence that I particularly enjoyed was the following: “That, at least, she understood.” It is simple, yet adds onto characterization of both your character and the narrator of “Poison of the Blue Rose”. They both cannot understand the emotional clarities of themselves, as they have shut themselves off completely to everything but the physical – the ground they stand on.

One factor I would work on is in your explanation. While I believe I understood the symbolic meanings of everything in your story, I’m not sure if others could. I would personally like some explanation behind the name on stone, which I’m sure has an insightful purpose. Explaining in-depth how the purpose of the quote and story relate back to you and “Poison of the Blue Rose” would’ve been very helpful.

All in all, I’m mesmerized by your writing! It has inspired me greatly for my next blog post (such as the creativity of your blog post title). I can’t wait to see where your writing takes you. I’ll definitely be reading your future writing!

Sincerely,
    Cindy <3

• Thank you so much, Cindy, for your amazing comment. I found your feedback very encouraging and helpful. I love that you were drawn in by the title (I thought for a long time about a good one) and that you were able to see the many connections I tried to make between “The Poison of the Blue Rose” main character and mine.

I believe that you are right in the fact that my explication could have gone more in depth about some of the symbolism, and connecting the quote and the story to me.

I am so glad that you were inspired by my piece (please do, I would love to see more Latin titles) and will be sure to check out for yours in the future.

All the best,
      Aarti

3. Dear Aarti,

Your creative writing piece about an abandoned graveyard is absolutely stunning. The use of parallelism and extensive imagery really create a captivating story that draws effectively from the original story. I am quite intrigued by your words such as “dazed” and the amount of blood that really gives the character character. I also quite enjoyed your explanation/reflection at the end to express your interest for the story, and the additional motif of death in another section. Your description of using “little bread crumbs” and sentence fragments really solidify your understanding of your creative piece and provide a great tool to reread and fully immerse yourself into the story once more.

In terms of positive feedback, I would maybe expand on your ending excerpt on the theme of death. You provide some insight and the definition of your blog along with it, but I believe you could elaborate on such a theme much more effectively to create a strong writing piece.

Sincerly,
    Justin – The History Nerd

• Thank you so much, Justin (The History Nerd), for the fantastic comment. I am glad that you found my graveyard piece stunning, (I love the idea of an abandoned graveyard so much and was really happy when I was able to execute it). I’m also so happy that you liked the blood and death motifs, and agree that I could have expanded on the theme of death in my explication. In doing so I would have rounded out the piece a bit more and created a stronger piece.

Thank you again for the excellent feedback, it means a lot,
      Aarti (The Physics Nerd)